And there were of John’s disciples who followed after Yeshua, Andrew Bar Jonas, the
brother of Simon; John Bar Zebedee, the brother of James; Philip of Bethsaida, the
son of Jabesh the fisherman; and James Ben Alpheus, the brother of Levi.
Summary: James and his brother Levi were sons of Alpheus, and cousins of Yeshua.
James was numbered among the followers of John the Baptizer who later became disciples
of Yeshua (Y:3:22).
48. And James the son of Alpheus spoke unto him, saying: “My Lord, I will forsake
all things to follow after you, for I know that you are the very Anointed One of
God, even the hope of Israel.”
49. And Yeshua answered him, saying: “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the
air their nest, but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head. How then shall you
follow me seeing that I have taken nothing to myself?”
50. And James answered him, saying: “My Lord, if I might but follow after you, I
shall possess all things.”
51. And hearing this, Yeshua smiled and placing his hand upon him, spoke, saying:
52. “Come then, and tarry not. For whosoever shall follow after me shall be made
witness to all things. And whosoever shall stand apart from me, shall increase to
themselves a multitude of burdens.
53. For I shall reveal unto you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard, nor
any hand touched, neither entered into the heart of any man from the beginning of