Summary: Located on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum was home
to several of Yeshua’s disciples, including Simon and Andrew Bar Jonas, and James
and John, the sons of Zebedee. Yeshua spent considerable time in Capernaum throughout
his ministry. According to scripture, Yeshua had a home located there (Y:15:1, 12:74),
likely provided to him by Jairus, the chief rabbi whose daughter Yeshua healed (Y:13:45-70).
While initially the citizens of Capernaum received Yeshua with gladness, the city
was eventually rejected by Yeshua for its corruption and disbelief (Y:19:66-67).
The following list summarizes events that occurred in Capernaum:
• Yeshua was invited to stay in Simon’s house in Capernaum. Upon his arrival, Simon’s
wife Joanna entreated Yeshua to heal her mother Cleophas (Y:7:1-5). Yeshua stayed
with Simon for a number of days before traveling through Galilee, teaching and healing.
• Yeshua gives the parable of the Wedding Feast (Y:7:11-22), and the parable of the
Fish Net (Y:7:23-33).
• Capernaum was home to Matthew the tax collector (Y:8:1-3). Matthew sought Yeshua
out and invited him to have dinner at his home. It was here that Yeshua healed Mary
• While teaching at the synagogue on the Sabbath, Yeshua heals a man with a withered
• Yeshua gives the parable of the Sower (Y:9:8-13, 20-27).
• Yeshua gives the parable of the Hidden Treasure (Y:9:30-37).
• Yeshua is approached by Rufinius the centurion, who asks that his servant be healed
• Jairus, the chief rabbi of Capernaum, asks Yeshua to heal his daughter (Y:13:45-48,
• While Yeshua is on his way to the house of Jairus, a woman touches his robe and
is healed (Y:13:49-56).
• The parable of the Tares and the Wheat was likely given near Capernaum (Y:14:42-48,
• It was at Yeshua’s home that the paralytic boy was lowered through the roof and
subsequently healed (Y:15:1-10).
• Yeshua gives the parable of the Unforgiving Servant (Y:15:11-31).
• Yeshua heals two blind men while staying in Capernaum (Y:16:1-7).
• Many of the disciples are offended by Yeshua’s radical sermon at the synagogue
• After teaching in the synagogue, Yeshua heals a deaf boy (Y:16:47-48).
• The parable of the Forgotten Seed was given near Capernaum (Y:16:68-71).
And you Capernaum, though you be as white and delightsome as some young maiden, yet
are you filled with old men’s bones, being withered and filled with all manner of
corruption and deceit.
For though you would exalt yourself even unto Heaven, yet shall you be brought down
into a heap; for if the works which had been done in you had been done in Sodom and
Gomorrah, they would have believed long ago.